Fall is my most favorite time of the year. Who doesn’t love the cool, crisp air, the pallet of fall colors, the aromas of pumpkin spice, and apple pie? But with this change in seasons, comes potential dangers for your dog.
The days become shorter and the nights are longer, which creates reduced visibility. Bring a flashlight when walking at night and make sure you and your pet wear reflective gear.
Spring and Fall are prime seasons for mushrooms. They can sprout up quickly, overnight. There are many different kinds of species of mushrooms and it is very difficult to determine which are poisonous and which are not. In this situation, it would be better to keep you dog away from them altogether. You should check out your backyard before letting your dog out. Chrysanthemums are also very toxic to your dog. Signs of ingesting the beautiful, colorful mum plants include:
- Skin Inflammation
- Increased salivation
You should contact your vet if you notice any of these signs. Poisonous mushrooms can cause liver and kidney damage and even death. Acorns are another lurking danger. Acorns can cause liver a
nd kidney damage and show signs of the following if ingested:
- Abdominal pain
- Can cause intestinal blockage
Keep your dog away from any anti-freeze that has leaked from a car or from an old container in the garage. It has a sweet smell that attracts dogs, but is deadly if ingested.
Some of your favorite Fall foods and treats can be dangerous for your dog:
- Halloween candy (especially chocolate)
- Sugar free gum/treats
- Certain nuts are also poisonous to your dog. Best to stay away from them altogether Seasonal allergies take a toll on us, as well as your dog.
Seasonal allergies take a toll on us, as well as your dog. Signs of allergies can be scratching, watery eyes, runny nose, ear infections.
Staying on top of what your dog is doing can ward off any potential dangerous situations for him. We will take good care of your dog while he is in our care. Check us out!